Make juicy chicken breasts with this recipe for sweet apple and mustard marinade. Lean chicken breast sits in the acidic mixture, which helps keep moisture in when you start grilling. Make a batch of these chicken breasts and reheat it for dinner, or use in a sandwich for lunch.
Sweet Apple & Mustard Chicken
- 1/4 cup (about 62g) whole-grain mustard (or your favorite kind of mustard)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup (30g) chopped parsley
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine the mustard, olive oil, applesauce, vinegar, honey and parsley. Add the chicken breasts, and marinate for 20 minutes or wait overnight if desired.
Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the marinade). Season with salt and pepper.
Grill the chicken breasts until cooked through or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165°F (74°C), 4–6 minutes per side.
If you don’t have a grill, you can bake the chicken breasts. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Bake the chicken for 30–40 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked through and opaque.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast (about 4 ounces cooked)
Per serving: Calories: 286; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 105mg; Sodium: 477mg; Carbohydrate: 8g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 38g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 104mg; Iron: 10%; Vitamin A: 13%; Vitamin C: 21%; Calcium: 4%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Add 1 cup of steamed broccoli to up the calories and fiber. (Per serving: Calories: 316; Fat: 10g; Carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 41g)
- Add 1/2 cup cooked brown rice to up the calories and carbs. (Per serving: Calories: 395; Fat: 11g; Carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 40g)