Muesli is a cold porridge of oats, fruit and milk or yogurt that softens in the fridge overnight. However, don’t be fooled by this humble dish. Something magical happens while the muesli sits in the fridge over time, turning the oats into a soft, creamy and satisfying breakfast. This dairy-free version uses coconut yogurt and coconut milk and has added fiber from a shredded Granny Smith apple.
Coconut-Green Apple Muesli
- 1 1/2 cups (430g) unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (35g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and shredded
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Honey or maple syrup, for drizzling
- Toasted shredded coconut
- Shredded apple
- Toasted chopped nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts
In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut yogurt and milk with the orange juice, honey, cinnamon and salt. Fold in the oats, coconut and apple until thoroughly combined. Scrape the muesli into four 1-cup jars with tight-fitting lids. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
Eat right out of the jar, garnished with cinnamon, honey, toasted coconut, shredded apple or toasted nuts, if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: About 1 cup
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 315; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 13g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 62mg; Carbohydrate: 41g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 15g; Protein 6g